The name Borpatra has a historical meaning. It came from the title ‘BORPATRA GOHAIN’ which was created by the Ahom king ‘SUHUNGMUNG’ approximately around 1525-26 A.D. One of the king ‘SUPIMPHA’s (Reign 1493-1497 A.D.) wives happened to see a Naga chief, who had come to pay tribute to the Ahom king, and praised his beauty in the king’s hearing. The latter was so incensed at this, that he exiled her to the Naga’s village. The queen was in the family way at that time and subsequently gave birth to a son named ‘SENGLUNG’.
King SUPIMPHA died in 1497 A.D. and was succeeded by his son SUHUNGMUNG.During one of SUHUNGMUNG’s trips around his domain, he saw the youth SENGLUNG and was struck by his half-brother, he took senglung into his favour and appointed him to the post of BORPATRA GOHAIN. This post was equal in power to the Borgohain and Boragohain, who were very power full ministers in the Ahom kingdom. Suhungmung changed Senglung’s name to ‘KONSENG’. After the death of Suhungmung the Borpatra Gohain left the Ahom capital and settled down in the Foothill’s alongside the river DISAN (or Dilli River as it is now know as). This place came to be known as ‘BORPATRA NAGAR’. Kongseng set up an army of solider here. He also had dug a tank named ‘BORPATRA UPKHURI’ which can still be seen inside the Tea garden. There are also some remains of two huge mud chullas. To the north of this settlement kongseng gathered his childhood friends, the Nagas and settled them at a place called ‘NAGA SILONI’ village. Also, northward from Borpatra Nagar there was a ‘DHUDOR ALI’, alongside this all or road was a SOMDEO temple and it was here that the Borpatra Gohain came to worship. But now this temple is no longer there. In this place a village named SOMDAR GOAN was established which still exists. To the west of Borpatra Nagar was a place where the workers of Borpatra Gohain were given land and which was called ‘BOHATITA’ (Means subordinates). It was still there but is known as ‘DANGURI KUMAR’ now-a-days. But due to the tides of time, Borpatra Nagar ceased to exist and in its place, the Britishers planted a Tea garden in the early part of this century named BORPATRA.
Borpatra at its inception was managed by “JHANZIE TEA ASSOCIATION LTD” and the Agents were ‘BALMER LOWRIE & CO’.LTD. on 31/12/1977 Borpatra Tea Estate was sold to Messrs. Stewart Holl (India) Ltd. On 31/03/1990 the company got amalgamated with “GOODRICKE GROUP LTD”.
As the records before 1940 are not available the names of the Managers since 1940 is appended as annexure - I.
Borpatra T.E is located in the foothills (of Tirap district of Arunachal Prodesh) on the Assam Border. The Dilli River (Also known as Disang ) borders the northern side of the garden. The rest of the garden is surrounded by the nearby villages with their paddy fields.
The nearest Rail head and township is Nampur which from the garden factory are at distance of 10 to 15th kms. respectively. The nearest Airport is at Dibrugarh which is at a distance of 110 kms from the garden. The postal address is Borpatra Tea Estate T.E. P.O. Borhat, Dist. Sibsagar, Pin code – 785693, Assam India.
The garden consists of one out Division namely “DHUDOR ALI”