Sessa Tea Estate is located in the tea growing areas of Upper Assam in the Dibrugarh district of Assam. The garden was first planted in the year 1897 under the British India Tea Company.
This garden derives its name from the river Sessa which flows around the Western Northern and partially the Eastern boundary of the main division. The word Sessa in the Assamese language means ‘COLD’. It is not known how this name originated.
Names of other rivers in the area start with the word ‘DE’ meaning river in some tribal dialect e.g, De Sang, De Khow, De Hing etc. so the name of the river may originally have been De Sa, later mispronounced as ‘SESSA’ or ‘CHECHA’ as it is called today. The garden has two divisions namely Sessa and Temptoo. In the earlier days the transportation to and from Temptoo division was by means of Trolley. The Manager’s Gypsy of the by gone era can be seen at the factory.
The garden is proud of its latest upgraded factory. The superior field practices followed at Sessa have ensured recognition by the Tea Board through excellence awards, while this mark is keenly sought after by the upcountry markets.