Aibheel

 

Aibheel Tea Estate is located in the tea growing areas of Dooars in Jalpaiguri District of West Bengal. It is in the heart of the Chulsa sub-district and is at the Foothills of Kalimpong and Bhutan range.

The nearest railway station is New Mal junction and airport is Bagdogra which from garden factory are at a distance of 15kms and 80 kms respectively. The postal address is Aibheel Tea Estate, P.O. Matelli, Dist: Jalpaiguri, Pin code 735223, West Bengal, India.

The garden now consists of four divisions namely Naya Kaman, Gunty Side, Sathkyah and Dangee after Sathkyah Tea Estate was merged with Aibheel Tea Estate in 1968.

The grant of Aibheel tea garden was leased out around 1890 to Sir Benjamin Simpson. Sir Simpson was the medical officer of Sir Ashlay Eden’s mission at Bhutan, when Dooars was taken over by the British from Bhutan. His son P.A. Simpson managed the property during its infant days and was manager till the year 1920.

The garden in its earlier years was also called by the name of "Sonapani" as the water in the natural springs resembled gold in colour. One of the divisions i.e, the Dangee division has derived its name from the word "danga" in sadri which means raised land devoid of water.

Aibheel in its inception was in the agency of Williamson Magor & Co., Calcutta. In the year 1920 when Fagu Tea Garden was amalgamated with Aibheel tea garden to form Aibheel Tea Company, the U.K. agents were C.A. Goodricke & Co. while Williamson Magor and Co. continued to be agents in Calcutta.

In the later years C.A. Goodricke and company merged with Walter Duncans and Company in U.K. to form Walter Duncan Goodricke and Company. Aibheel Tea Company then came under the agency of Duncan Brothers and Company, Calcutta and remained under the above agency till 31st December 1977. From 1st January 1978 M/S Goodricke Group Limited, Calcutta took over the management of this garden.

Address

Address: P.O Matelli
Jalpaiguri 735 223
Dist – West Bengal